NFF apologises to Nigerians, accuses Oliseh of lying
The Nigeria Football Federation on Monday tendered an unreserved apology to Nigerians following the confusion Sunday Oliseh resignation created.
“The NFF gives assurances despite the circumstance which has arisen with the untimely resignation of coach Sunday Oliseh and despite the fact that the decision was taken unilaterally without discussion with NFF or any of its officials or board members, without giving the requisite 1 (one) month notice as stipulated in his contract immediately after he was paid his salary arrears and housing allowance after his request to travel across Europe to visit potential players for the matches against Egypt was approved by the President of the NFF and despite the fact that we have crucial qualifying matches to play next month (March).”
The body led by Amaju Pinnick said the members waved aside a lot of rules binding both sides in a determined bid to make the conditions of service very convenient for Oliseh who they said failed to reciprocate the gesture.
“Mr. Sunday Oliseh in his letter of resignation and in various reports has talked about not being respected, and not getting the support of the NFF. The NFF categorically denies these allegations and notes that from the time of his employment, the NFF had always shown him respect which, unfortunately, was not always reciprocated.
“In order to encourage him to exhibit an intention to put the issue of financial disagreements with coaches behind the federation and to help the new coach quickly settle down, the NFF proceeded to pay him three months’ salary in advance — something that had never happened previously in Nigerian football.”
Samson Siasia has since been appointed to take charge temporarily as the Eagles prepare to face the Pharaohs of Egypt on March 25.